There are several different official religions that are found throughout today: Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Shintoism, etc. But there is an ideology that you may not find on any official list but it is one that many Christians live by (and are known by) and that is called Christian Karma.
What exactly is Christian Karma? Let’s examine:
- Have you ever done a good deed so that you can get on God’s “good side”? – Christian Karma
- Have you ever made a mistake, or completely have blown it, and you just know that God is disappointed in you and you get yourself ready for a string of bad luck? – Christian Karma
- Have you had something bad happen to you and automatically think it’s because God doesn’t really care about you and is angry with you about something you must have done? – Christian Karma
- Have you been living in sin, enjoying life, and have tricked yourself into believing God’s patience and grace really means His approval? – Christian Karma
- Do you live as you please Monday – Saturday and think you’re a good person and God owes you a lot because, hey, you go to church on Sunday morning? – Christian Karma
- Do you have your own agenda and build on the kingdom of self but attach God at the very end because you use Him as a good luck charm? – Christian Karma
As you can see, Christian Karma is not an official religion but this is the way many Christians live. God isn’t waiting for you to mess up so He can zap you and destroy your life. He isn’t flattered by your fake worship with ulterior motives. He isn’t an absent Father that checks in on you every now and then only to forget about you. He doesn’t shower you with gifts because He is in a good mood on that particular day.
God is faithful and keeps His promises because that is who He is. We cannot manipulate Him and make Him bend to our will and control. So the next time you feel yourself slipping into patterns of believing in Christian Karma, ask God to help you snap out of it, wield your sword of Truth against the enemy’s deception and lies, and ask for the help to regain your focus on the Great I AM!
God, I woke up this morning and began to feel myself sliding back into old patterns of thoughts regarding who You are. When I read Your Word, I know that what I am telling myself about You isn't true. Help me not become distracted and discouraged by the enemy's lies. I will trust in You.
Nehemiah 9:8 – “…and You have done what You promised.”
transcript captions transcription sermon